My biggest goof with this project was that I didn’t take a ‘before’ picture. Suffice it to say, this was NOT a cute flower pot before. It was so ugly that tho we put it in our garage sale – it didn’t sell.
Then we got a brain storm. Why not spray paint it? So we did. Painted it white. And the thing was as ugly and lifeless as ever before.
And then we got smart. We decided to use fabric to dress it up. We used Moda’s Vintage Modern by Bonnie & Camille to Mod Podge the fabric onto the pot. Then we coated it with a clear coat of acrylic spray paint. It has held up wonderfully through the entire season. It looked sooo cute on our front porch! And the chenille plant in the pot was such a happy, cute little thing creeping and fluffing it’s way down the pot. Great conversation piece.
Here’s how we did it:
We started with an ugly, lonely, boring flower pot.
Then we selected the fabric: Vintage Modern by Bonnie & Camille for Moda SKU 55041 15
Doing a dry test to make sure the fabric was long enough. This dry test also showed us that we’d need to cut the fabric in two pieces because of the contour of the flower pot – and even then we knew we were going to need to snip the fabric in some places. More on this later…
First thing we did was coat the wrong side of the fabric thoroughly with Mod Podge. Then we let it dry for 24 hours. This made it feel like oil cloth and kept the fabric from fraying or becoming too relaxed when we worked with it later.
This is a picture after the first side of the pot was done. Just to give you a glimpse of where we are going with this.
Apply more Mod Podge to your fabric. (Which has dried since the original coat yesterday.) And also apply a good coat of Mod Podge to your flower pot. Get it on quickly, you don’t want to take too long. Although you don’t want to use globs and globs of extra Mod Podge, if you do apply too much don’t worry because it will be spread out in the next steps.
Getting the bottom of the pot where the fabric will also be glued down.
Also apply Mod Podge where the fabric will over lap.
After applying the Mod Podge, begin laying the fabric on the pot.
Start smoothing the fabric onto the pot. Notice how the contour of the pot is making for too much fabric? I’ll have to cut a snip into the fabric to help it lie flat. I also had to cut quite a few snips along the top edge to get the fabric to fold over and into the pot.
See the ripples? These need to be worked out through smoothing and also with some snips.
Smoothing. They have special tools you can buy for this, but I just used a spatula like thing we had around the house.
More smoothing – carefully, carefully to get ALL the air bubbles worked out to the edge.
Snipping the bottom edge of the fabric.
Here’s where I had a couple of choices. I could have let the fabric go crooked, but that messed up how much fabric wrapped around the bottom. So I opted to cut a slit up the fabric and overlap it. Because my fabric choice was geometric the slit shows more than it might have otherwise, but it’s not bad enough to bother me.
Here you can see where I option to cut the slit and am in the process of smoothing it down.
All smoothed! Once the Mod Podge finishes drying you will no longer see the whitish film. Then I sprayed the entire pot with a clear coat of acrylic spray paint because Mod Podge is water soluble and I knew I’d be watering my plants. The clear coat gave the it a really nice glazed finish and it has definitely held up to watering well.
Later with a cute Chenille plant…. Enjoy!